Friday, September 12, 2008

Surprised beyond words

The other day I heard the door bell ring and with my daughter in one hand, and a spatula in the other, I rush to get the door. When I open the door, I see this 6 or maybe 7 year old, dressed immaculately, every strand of hair in place and quite fashionably so.! That to begin with, was quite embrassing for me - I was in my pyjama and my daughter's dress had food all over it!.

The girl then started talking, with both her hands behind her back, one leg slightly in front of the other. You get it? The very professional pose...

She : " Hello Maam, oh wat a beautiful baby"
Me : (Huh?!) " Oh.. th.. thank you"
She : " Maam, we are organizing this event..... blah blah "
Me : ( Look at her style of talking,,, what was I doing when I was this young).
She : "... so we are looking for sponsorships...."
She : " Maam?"
Me : " Yeah I I understand( I had no freaking idea what she was talking about, but my antennas have been well trained to respond to the word " outgoing money" , thanks to my husband)"
Me : " I would love to help you, but I will have to consult with my husband on this. Would it be possible for you to come at a later time?"
She : " Of course Ma'am, I understand. Thanks again. May I say, your baby is adorable"
Me : " Thank you"

That was the first of a kind for me.. a young girl, so precocious.. I could not believe her confidence and maturity.

When I was 6 or 7, I was probably running around trees in my house, playing make believe games with equally ambitious friends of mine:) I dont think I could even get money from my own parents, leave alone strangers!

So , what were you doing at that age?

6 comments:

Sugavan said...

me...what was i doing at 6 or 7...i think i saw Kevin Costners Robin Hood and fantasized having an adventure with another 2nd grade girl in my class....ofcourse i was Robin Hood and she was Marian...
Also I watched Gobots (Now known as Transformers) and bugged my dad to get me a replica...
used to listen to Judas Priest...yes when I was 7 years old :)
oh and once used the F-word and my parents got called to the PTA

Ginda said...

U did way more than I can dream at that age!

Anu said...

Peeps, I was playing mami-mami with my cousins!

Look at it this way, your adorable daughter will probably be as enterprising. So better tune your antennas to signals from within thte house as well!!

Happily for me,my daughter watches "chota bheem" and "Krishna" at 4. Don't see much change at 6!

Ginda said...

Anu, Let me write a post on Potty training soon and u will know my daughter is not even close to getting there:)

LOL on maami-mmami game.. so cute

Sugavan said...

omg wat is mami mami? my imagination is all 'fired' up...

Ginda said...

Sug , mammi-maami is one of those thriller games, with murder, scandal and every other possible twist you can imagine:)

J/k:)