Friday, September 12, 2008

Diversity in Music?

I was listening to a song " Sahana Saaral poothado" from the movie Shivaji. The song is sung by Udit Narayanan, who in his own natural habitat is an amazing singer. But when I hear him sing tamil songs, I cringe..

No offense to him or anyone else, but pronounciation goes a long way in the success of a song. Do we not have good singers who can do justice in our domain? I dont know Hindi or anyother language very well, so I cannot comment on singers from the south singing for Hindi numbers.
But I do know my language very well and can certainly feel the pain when someone who does not understand the meaning or can even pronounce the words, is actually given the opportunity over and over again!

Of course, this is not applicable to every singer out there... how can we forget the famous " valai oosai" and " shenbagame" . In the recent times, Shreya Goshal does a decent job with her tamil diction.

OH well.... as long as the albums sell, who am I to question?:)! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sugavan said...

Kiliyin siragu kadan ketkalam..Thehhhpeleee....
Clinton veetil Pean ketkalam...Thehhpele...

Ginda said...

SO funny:) Dont know the song, but can imagine him singing it

for a long time, I dint understand this song: Konjum Mainakale in Kandukonden kandukonden sung by Sadhna..
I thot it was " Minakale and kept wondering what the hell it was!