Friday, February 27, 2009

Parenting lesson 101

Now don't ask me where the first 100 lessons are. I believe you can group them all together into " Pazhaya-pondatti kadhaigal" ( Old Wives tales) and I have heard my share of them from ... well u know the old wives:)

Anyways back to our topic in discussion - my daughter has this peculiar habit of biting us when she gets very excited. I think she started this around 15 mos or so when she got a lot of teeth. So just like we blame everything else on teething( baby not sleeping thru' night.. oh its teething.. baby not liking my food.. oh its teething), we did the same for this.
But the pattern proved enough to dismiss our false assumptions. She would only bite when she is excited and the privilege was reserved only for her mom and dad. Sorry folks, you 'll just have to pass on that painful unbearable experience that leaves a not-so-desirable mark!! ( u lucky *%&$*@)

We have been constantly telling her a strong NO when she does that and I usually follow it up with " " No biting Sonali, only kissing". I believe there has been some effect and the biting has reduced a lot ( no kissing instead yet), yet she still does that at times. Yesterday was one such day - she was very excited about something I said or did and I picked her up and hugged her and OUCH OUCH OUCH! on my shoulder. I quickly put her down and raised my voice and said " NO" and told her " No Chinchu for you" ( Chinchu is her term for " lift me up"). I guess this was my first time-out if you may call it that. She stared at me for a second and pouted her lips. Before she could begin to cry, I lifted her up, kissed her , hugged her and said sorry only about a million times. The timeout lasted exactly for 1.5 seconds. I just don't think I am cut out for this!

I need to either learn to be tougher for time-outs to work OR just take one myself and stop acting silly!

2 comments:

Sugavan said...

The only reason I read thro the entire article was I saw 'Pazhaya-pondatti kadaigal' - translated to Old wives shop and realized to my dismay it wasn't.

By the way, Maya bites when she is bored, hungry, excited. Now she has started this habit of pulling my hair.

All this leads to the question: Are babies of the current generation different from previous generations?

Anu said...

Peeps,

I really wonder what you're going to do when she's in the TERRBLE twos..believe me they can be quite quite terrible.

I have no such qualms, no karisanam - nalla thittu vaanguva Rupali. The only problem is her dictionary simply omits the word fear.