Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Good mommy?

My daughter is 19 mos old now so I am kind of expected to be an expertise in baby raising for the first 19 mos, and everything that has to do with it!. I, unfortunately don't think I live up to those expected standards.

A lot of my friends are pregnant and they want to know many many things and I understand that since I have been there. Totally. I would not hesitate to ask a stranger at my daughter's future daycare if they liked size1 or size 2 diapers!

But when the very same questions are posed to me, I go blank.
" Did you use preemie diapers or the regular ones from day one?"
----hmm, maybe preemie, wait.. maybe size 1. just try one of both

" Do you remember the day your baby had her first solids?"
----I think i can get that from our camera. I have a pic.. it was around 4-5 mos!....

" what did you give her?"
----the usual

"hmm like what?"
---- I think its best to go with ur Doc's advice.

" How was her poop for the first few days? How much would she go?"
----not sure, but certainly ask my husband -bet he took some measurements:)

" What was her first word, when did she start recognizing you? when did she blink her eyelid? when did she first smile......"
----I wasn't blogging back then, so I really DON'T KNOW!

These are the times I feel the need to assert myself. As far as I have heard, mommies remember every little detail ( even the poopy ones), but the fact is I don't!. The surprising fact is also that I do not mind it at all. I really don't think I need to remember every little fact to be a good mommy. I I love my daughter and she knows that and I'll be there for her always!. Phew! Felt good to re-affirm that:)

Having said that, I also admire moms who do remember all that. It shows their attention to detail and their memory power... but not necessarily their power of affection over moms like me.
My friend A asked me a question last week( I can't even remember the question now:)) but needless to say I dint know the answer. She was really sweet and said : " Don't worry, you don't need to remember everything". Thank her for that rule!

The next time someone asks me and I know what to say, I am going to challenge them to get an answer from my husband!. Then they'll see how cognizant I am.

2 comments:

Amrutha Ragavan said...

I'm already forgetting somethings and need my mom to remind me..btw, my daughter is just 3 months old! We are all in the same boat(and the boat is sinking!). I think they call this 'old' age..waddya say?

Preetha@Indeed said...

Did Srikanth really take measurements of her poo? So cute! :)

BTW its my opinion that the reason we don't remember the details is because we are busy actually being mommies and living in the moment. Also something that seems vastly important initially(like preemie vs size 1) becomes trivial within a day or two, once you have it figured out.