Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Rock on!

Unlike whatever ideas you may get from the topic, this post is far from that!. I have a zillion things to write about, but given he scatterbrain I am, cannot gather my thoughts in a consistent timely manner. This incident though , is something that I need to remind my daughter about, so here goes.
Sonali put a tiny stone into one of her nostril at school yesterday. Her teacher called me and said: " Sonali has a rock in her nose. We tried but cant get it out. She is fine and not complaining though". Of course I panicked, dint bother to register the : she is fine part and called my husband to meet me at the school. I also called her doctor and fixed an appointment. I already had plans to call 911 if I cannot get it out myself. My imagination ran wild with worry.

When I mentioned this to my coworker, she laughed and goes: " oh its the beginning" !! WHAT? You mean she'll stuff more going forward? Aren't they all supposed to get wisdom and understanding with age? ( minus one- for self).

I went to her school and saw my husband chatting away with the teachers and my daughter was finishing up her meal like she had not seen food for years. It was then that I relaxed a bit because I knew it was not too serious. Then I got her to sneeze by twisting the end of a tissue ( like we do with a handkerchief) and trying to tickle her other nostril. She dint quite sneeze, but since she tried to, the stone found its way to the entrance and I quickly got it out. Phew! What a relief

When I asked her that evening about why she did that, she said she wanted to bring the rock home. Simple compelling reason for her:) So the "Act like cool while bursting with anger" mommy tried to tell her all the not so good effects of sticking things into the nose and she promised she would never ever do that again. Just FYI, never ever can last anywhere between the next 15 min and 1 hour!

Apparently, she also told her rock story to her friends in class and told them not to do it. I am sure they all did the " never ever" promise as well:)

Ah! the joys of parenting!

3 comments:

Anu said...

Peeps,
That is scary! I have heard many stories about peanuts up nostrils but have never imagined what I would do in a similar situation! As usual you showed your studness by getting the stone out with a minimum of fuss while the trained pro couldn't! paathiya!

When are you in India?

- Anu

Anonymous said...

Peeps - that was scary! Hope she keeps her promises

Shilpi

Anjali said...

OMG...that must have been so scary!Glad it all fine though.Anyway,I always knew our Sonu was a rockstar :)