Thursday, April 16, 2009

Parenting Lesson 102

" When you give a timeout to your child, make sure you give one for your husband "

My daughter has progressed from the no-biting stage to the sure-beating stage. Now that we have taken care of that no-biting thing with Stern NOs and 2 second timeouts, she needs a new way to express her excitement. She decided to start beating. Again, we are the privileged ones for the most part.. but sometimes she has a soft spot for friends of ours she likes and they suffer too:)

The beating is something I really need to control so I get very strict with her. I immediately put her down, keep my face still and give her that Look and say NO. She stares at me for a minute , wondering if I will change my expression and I don't move. As she pouts her lips, her dad comes running to her, swoops her up and starts to pacify her. Worse yet, he also makes her laugh and what does she do again? Yes she gives him a good beating. I don't stop her now because I think this one is worth it!!

If mommy tries to discipline her and daddy comes to her rescue every time,, she is really not going to get anything out of it. Every time I tell her not to do something and she doesn't like it, she will go running to daddy and knows she can get away with it.

So I have decided that every time sonali will likely get a timeout, I will first put my husband to a timeout room and chair and then handle my baby. Preferably lock him in there and maybe even go shopping:) Ok now my evil mind is working.. so I'll stop.

3 comments:

Preetha Appan said...

Super idea peeps.

Anu said...

Peeps, that was funny! So you're going to be the "bad guy"! :)

Srivalli said...

hhahaha...those are some super cool lessons...glad to see something logged in exactly as it happens at my place!..