Saturday, October 11, 2008

Potty Training - Chapter 1

Just like all first time moms ( well..ok, some first time moms), I panic for a variety of reasons in the life of my toddler. So naturally, when my daughter had her first diaper rash a few weeks back, I was a panic-monster. At first, I tried to be cool , but when I saw it was not getting any better with her creams, I had it. The fact that it turned out to be fungal dint really help much to ease my tension!

I blamed myself for neglect, blamed my husband more for his, I blamed the concept of diapers, the diaper company, the store that sold these diapers and the list went on. I dint spare anyone :). I googled, read all about diaper rashes, went onto read forums about cloth diapers users and the goodness of getting babies potty trained early on.

Now I was excited and motivated. Well. if some moms out there can get their babies potty trained before 12 months, I should be able to.. especially when I have a 3 month time advantage over them. So started my PT obsession.

I took my little one and all my optimism to babiesrus. I pulled out 3 different potty seats and started examining them. My daughter got very excited as well and started running from one seat to another. Just when I started to pull the 4th one from the shelf, I heard a sound next to me. I turn to see my daughter pushing one of the potty seats and park it right at end of the aisle, comfortably blocking any little space for people to pass by. I also noticed that she was making a " brrrrrr" sound that she does to demonstrate a car ride. That should have been my first clue:) but I dint catch it.

I managed to bring a seat back home. So I put it in the living room and show her to sit on it. She smiles at me and I think to myself " this seems easier than I thought ". I clap to signify her achievement, and she claps as well. As I am going over the next steps in my mind, I see her stand up and run towards her toys. She pulls her favourite doll , Monali and runs back with her to the potty. I was still optimistic since I thought she needed company to remember the rules:) What she did next sealed any little hope I had in this process. She put her doll flat across the potty seat , patted her and began to sing to her!

The seat is now sitting in our bathroom, bright and pink, starting at me in a condescending way! I do hope I can get to it someday and then I can have the last laugh, but for now everyone else is definitely having more fun.

1 comment:

Maami's Kitchen said...

Wow! This is hilarious. After my failed and foiled attempts at this, all that resulted from the attempts was Ira just refusing to even sit on it and mom using it as a pot for one of her garden plants! Now at 13 months, and after a relocation, am looking for an enticing potty to do the trcik. Let's hope for the best!